In this era of automation and virtual reality, organizations should invest in upgrading the skills of their workforce. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision making are the most sought-after skills, which will help the employees become more competitive and productive at their workplace.Now, the question is how to adapt and develop these competencies in today’s workforce? The answer is scenario-based eLearning.
Scenario-based eLearning improves their decision making, problem-solving, and critical thinking abilities. Organizations should adopt a custom scenario-based eLearning program to train their employees. If skill development is a significant part of your training strategy, then scenario-based eLearning is for you.
What exactly is scenario-based eLearning?
Scenario-based eLearning uses interactive, simulated, problem-based virtual situations to teach certain skills. This instructional design approach emphasizes on context instead of content.
This approach enables the learners to learn through a scenario-based problem. It allows the employees to learn the essential skills to deal with similar problems at work. Custom scenario-based eLearning applies interactive elements to promote active learning. This approach also aids the learner in getting feedback on the decisions they make at each stage. It offers an interactive training and learning experience to ensure that employees stay engaged throughout the session.
Benefits of scenario-based eLearning in employee training
Enterprises can train employees to be a perfect fit for their job roles using this advanced training technique. A blend of interactive, simulated, and realistic learning models is one of the best approaches for employee training. Some benefits of scenario-based eLearning are as follows:
- It is a pragmatic approach: It combines circumstances and experiences that employees might come across in real life at work. Hence, making it practical.
- Offers employee-centric approach: Enterprises want their employees to use their learning in the workplace. It focuses on how employees apply their acquired skills in real-life situations at their workplace. Hence, this approach strengthens the skills and improves the weak areas of employees.
- Interactive tactic: Learners do not read manuals or take quizzes in this process. With scenario-based learning, they are able to understand the criticality of various situations in a better manner. This approach enables them to make real-time decisions quickly and resolve the problem at hand. The interactive nature of scenario-based eLearning leads to motivated employees. It also results in high knowledge retention rates.
- Promotes critical thinking: Scenario-based eLearning stimulates the analytical skills of the employees. It puts the employee’s essential thinking skills to find a solution to the problem presented. This method helps the learner to comprehend the complexities of business problems. Employees can discover efficient solutions to organizational challenges.
- Encourage decision making through stories: It weaves and provides a context to the stories around the problem. This approach helps in the better perception of a particular scenario and implementation of the best judgment. Providing advanced and more complex situations will help employees to take different learning paths to achieve the best outcome.
- Provides constructive feedback: Scenario-based eLearning offers a risk-free and relaxed learning environment. It permits employees to practice their learning and make decisions as per their understanding. If they fail, they can view the consequences of every step on their mobile screen and understand how to overcome these mistakes.
- Scenarios trigger instinctive behavior: A well-constructed virtual scenario triggers the natural curiosity of the employee. The virtual scenarios allow the employees to think and react to the problem as they would in a real-life situation. It helps them to think of the most logical and workable solution.
Why should you invest in a custom scenario-based eLearning program for your employees?
Enterprises have many off-the-shelf training course options available to train their employees. They are accessible in the market but might not address the specific needs of your employees. So, they will lead to ineffective learning. Custom scenario-based eLearning courses are designed for your specific organizational goals. They can be updated and enhanced as per demand, enabling you to upgrade your learning modules whenever required.
Here are some reasons for your organization to switch to scenario-based eLearning:
- Specific organizational training needs: Business goals and training needs are distinct for every single organization. Ready-made generic training courses cannot cater to these particular needs. Custom scenario-based eLearning modules are based on specific organizational needs and learning objectives. It will provide employees with a clear idea of the takeaways of the course. Here’s how interactive eLearning modules improve user engagement.
- Challenges the employee: Custom scenario-based eLearning will challenge employees to expand their knowledge base. It will provide them with real-world problems to grow their skill sets and knowledge base.
- Higher return on investment: Designing and conducting training programs need significant investment. These costs should be justified, and that can happen only by achieving the set objectives. Custom scenario-based eLearning improves your employee’s skills and performance, and increases knowledge retention. Investingin their growth makes the employees work for a longer time period in the organization. These benefits offer businesses a higher return on investment for their training initiative.
- Enhanced knowledge retention: Only reading and hearing information doesnot give a clear idea of any situation. With scenario-based eLearning, employees use their skills and capabilities to complete the task. This hands-on experience helps them to understand the concepts better.
- A real-time test for real complications: The success of any training exercise is determined on the basis of thelearner’s performance in real-life situations. In scenario-based learning, employees navigate through problems with the help of theoretical knowledge. Any lack of understanding is solved in a risk-free environment, minimizing the chances of mistakes in real-life. Employees, thus become accustomed to handling such tough situations with ease.
- Longer shelf-life: This course is designed for your organization’s business practices and the latest industry trends. It can be updated to adjust to the new developments in the market. So, your e-course maintains meaningful training content for a more extended period.
- Employees learn at their own pace: In this process, learners don’t have to rush through the content at the speed of their co-workers. They learn and absorb their learning before moving on further. It will result in better performance from their end.
- Easy access to information: In scenario-based eLearning, employees have easy access to all the information. They have access to relevant information whenever and wherever they need it. It implies that your employees are knowledgeable about company procedures. It will result in enhanced customer satisfaction and better business practices.
- Better branding: Custom scenario-based eLearning can be fine-tuned to suit the brand image of your organization. Fonts, logos, color schemes, and more are adjusted to make them the intellectual property of your organization. Custom branding is also beneficial for your offshore employees. It conveys that employee training is the topmost priority in your organization.
- Reduces training costs: Online corporate training is helpful as it reduces training costs. There is no need for printed materials as all information is available online. The initial investment is more, but the upkeep costs are minimal.
Scenario-based e-Learning presents the opportunity to build effective training programs. There are many advantages to scenario-based eLearning. It instills confidence in the employee to perform in high-pressure situations.Employees can identify wrong decisions and their consequences in a risk-free environment, improving their critical thinking abilities.
Custom scenario-based eLearning courses cater to the learning needs of the employees, and helps them deliver better output. Therefore, it is beneficial for organizations to invest in a custom scenario-based learning program for their employees.